What is acorus gramineus?
Medicinally it mainly refers to the dried rhizome and root of Acorus tatarinowii Schott. This is a plant in the family Araceae and an Asian relative of Acorus Calamus (Sweet Flag). Other common names of it include Grassleaf Sweelflag Rhizome, Dwarf sedge, Drug Sweetflag Rhizome, Japanese rush, Rhizoma Acori Tatarinowii, Japanese sweet flag, Acorus gramineus rhizome, Rhizome of Grassleaf Sweelflag, and so on. In China it is mainly produced in the south of the Yangtze River, such as Sichuan, Zhejiang, and Jiangsu. Its rhizomes are generally dug up in autumn and winter. And then the fibrous roots must be removed before it is dried in the sun. And it is usually used raw medicinally.
Acorus gramineus plant is a graminoid perennial herb and with odorous rhizome. Leaves are arranged into two rows and with entire margin. Spadix is with green stalk and bract-like spathe. Acorus gramineus root is often used as medicine. It is distributed in Asia, including northeastern India, northern Thailand, China, Korea, Japan, Philippines, Indonesia, and other countries. Main habitat is jungles at an altitude of 20 meters to 2,600 meters. Flowering time is from May to June and fruit period is from July to August
Acorus gramineus benefits
More than just a sedative medicine for the treatment of insomnia, in recent years acorus gramineus grass is used in a wide range of applications. Here are its top 5 health benefits.
1) Preferred sedative hypnotic drug that treats chronic sleeplessness. Thanks to its inhibition of certain central nervous system, it is not only sedative and hypnotic, but also aromatic and expectorant. That’s to say, it has a good effect on insomnia disorder caused by the interference of phlegm-heat. What’s more, it also has sedative and hypnotic effects for the mentally ill;
2) Joint pain relief by managing Qi and activating blood. It is of acrid nature and good at activating blood and managing Qi. Therefore, it treats blockage due to wind-damp, joint pain, and bruises. Clinically it is applied directly to the wound (topical) along with fresh ginger and gardenia in order to reduce swelling and pain;
3) Remedy of dampness obstructing spleen-stomach syndrome by arousing spleen and harmonizing stomach. Since the aromatic volatile oil contained can promote the secretion of digestive juice and inhibit the gastrointestinal abnormal fermentation, it arouses spleen and helps the transportation and transformation of stomach;
4) Treatment of epilepsy by eliminating phlegm for resuscitation. Since its aromatic nature can transform damp turbidity, open orifice, and dispelling phlegm-damp, it is applicable in the treatment of obnubilation, deafness, blurred vision, and mental retardation that are caused by phlegm dampness blocking and clear yang failing to ascend;
5) Disease prevention by eliminating turbid pathogen with aromatics. Thanks to its aromatic properties and the detoxicating and pathogen-expelling ability, it is often used as a common herb for the purpose of disease prevention in ancient time. No wonder ancient Chinese used to hang fresh mugwort and acorus leaves on the doors and windows in order to prevent plague.
석창포라는 약초는 우리나라 전역 산골짜기의 물살이 센 시냇가 바위틈에서 뿌리를 내려 살며 번식이 매우 강하고 죽지 않는 약초로 강한 생명력과 뛰어난 효능을 지녔다고 합니다.
석창포 효능을 한마디로 요약하자면 두뇌 청소꾼이라고 합니다.
건망증을 치료하고 기억력을 증강하며 마음의 안정과 피로 회복 등에 그 효능이 뛰어나기 때문입니다.
여러 의학서적에 소개되어 있는 석창포의 효능은 놀랄만큼 여러 질병에 도움이 된다고 합니다.
석창포는 독특한 향이 있어 그다지 좋아하지 않지만 석창포의 다양한 효능은 그 향기에서 나온다고 합니다.
즉 석창포는 휘발성이 강한 약초이기 때문에 오래 끓이거나 하면 그 약효가 증발되버리기 때문에 신비의 효능을 위해서는 향이 파괴되지 않도록 하는 차나 가루로 만들어 먹어야 합니다.
옛기록에 의하면 석창포 효능을 이용해 여러 질병에 활용해 왔는데, 수험생의 집중력 향상과 스트레스 해소 그리고 치매환자의 치료 및 예방에 좋은 효능을 보이는 것이 바로 가장 대표적인 석창포의 효능이라고 합니다. 이러한 석창포의 효능은 칼라메놀, 아사론, 팔미틴, 사프롤, 정유 등이 석창포의 뿌리와 줄기에 함유되어 있기 때문입니다.