What is siegesbeckia?
It is a genus of Asteraceae and owns a few annual plants. When it is used as medicine, it actually means the dried aerial part of Siegesbeckia orientalis L., Siegesbeckia pubescens Makino, or Siegesbeckia glabrescens Makino. In China they are primarily produced in Hunan, Hubei, and Jiangsu. The best reaping time is summer and autumn before and during the blossom. Before used raw or steamed with Shaoxing wine, the impurities should be remove and they should be dried. And the high-quality one is with many leaves, thick gray-green stem, buds, and no roots and impurities.
It is native to Southeast Asia and adapts to hot, humid environments. So, medicinally what is siegesbeckia used for? Actually its medicinal history can be dated back to the Tang Dynasty, about 1,000 years ago. Then it was formally recorded in Xin Xiu Ben Cao (Newly Compiled Materia Medica) as a medicine mainly for eliminating wind-damp. And long before a few hundreds of years, the sap secreted by siegesbeckia leaves has been used by the ancient Chinese people to treat rheumatism. In recent years, it was found with an active ingredient that has aspirin-like structure. Currently, its calming and soothing effect are being used by the field of beauty.
Clinically siegesbeckia plant and Chou Wu Tong (Folium Clerodendri Trichotomi) are capable of treating rheumatism, rubella, eczema, urticaria, and pruritus. As a result, they are commonly used in pair to treat many ailments. However, they have their own advantage respectively. Siegesbeckia is still good at treating physical challenges like paralysis that commonly occur after stroke since it can get rid of wind-damp between the bones and muscles; Folium Clerodendri Trichotomi also treats dizziness and headache since it tranquilizes liver Yang.
Modern pharmacological actions
1) It is anti-inflammatory and analgesic;
2) It is antihypertensive;
3) It inhibits cellular immunity, humoral immunity and nonspecific immunity;
4) It can enhance T cell proliferation, promote the activity of IL-2, inhibit IL-1 activity, and improve local pathological reactions by adjusting the body’s immune function to slow down the progression of rheumatoid arthritis;
5) It can dilate blood vessels;
6) It significantly inhibits thrombosis;
7) It has a strong inhibitory effect on Staphylococcus aureus;
8) It has a certain inhibitory effect on Escherichia coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Shigella sonnei, Salmonella typhi, staphylococcus albus, Neisseria catarrhalis, Salmonella Enteritidis, plasmodium yoelii, and the like;
9) It has moderate inhibition on herpes simplex virus;
10) It can excite the uterus and has obvious anti-pregnancy effect.
원줄기와 잎에 복모가 있어 얼핏보기에 털이 없는 것같이 보이는 것이 털진득찰과 다르다.
잎은 대생하며 중앙부의 잎은 엽병이 길고 길이 5~13cm, 폭 3.5~11cm로서 난상 삼각형이며 예두 절저이거나 엽병으로 흐르는 엽신과 더불어 예저이고 양면에 짧은 복모가 있으며 뒷면에 선점이 있고 기부에 3맥이 있으며 가장자리에 불규칙한 톱니가 있고 위로 올라갈수록 잎이 작아져서 긴 타원형 또는 선형으로 되며 엽병이 없어진다.
원줄기에 복모가 있고 원주형이며 곧게 서고 가지가 마주 갈라지며 갈자색이다.
진득찰(Siegesbeckia glabrescens)은 전세계에 약 10종이 있으며, 우리나라에는 1종에 3가지 변종인 진득찰(진둥찰), 털진득찰, 제주진득찰이 자라고 있다.
진득찰을 생약명으로 "희렴초(豨薟草)"라고 한다.
중풍 반신불수 안면신경마비 고혈압에 효험
▶ 항염증작용, 혈압을 낮추는 작용, 중풍, 좌골신경통, 고혈압, 풍습으로 팔다리를 쓰지 못하는 데, 중풍으로 말을 잘 못하는 데와 반신불수, 안면신경마비, 구안와사, 반신불수, 근골강장, 관절통과 근육통, 허리와 무릎의 무기력, 학질(말라리아), 급성 간염, 정창, 종독, 칼 따위에 베인 상처, 통증 완화, 새살이 돋게함, 부종, 복통, 설사, 학질, 외상 출혈, 호랑이에 물린데, 거미에 물린데, 개에 물린데, 벌레에 물린데, 뱀에 물린데, 눈밝아지고 백발이 다시 검어지는 진득찰